Rejoice in and give thanks for the miracle of all life that is made possible by the grace of God through water.
Come on a spiritual journey of renewal, restoration, and reconciliation along the Wood & Pawcatuck Rivers in Rhode Island.
Due to the success of the River of Life: Connecticut River Pilgrimage in the summer of 2017, we’d like to offer the second of two 3-day pilgrimages to be held in Rhode Island in 2018. Hosted by the Episcopal Diocese of Rhode Island and the Right Rev. Nicholas Knisely, a paddling pilgrim in 2017, these River of Life Pilgrimages will be carried out in the same manner as the inaugural Connecticut River Pilgrimage — with times of communal silence both on and off the water, prayers for the land, the remembrance of sacred and desecrated places, and opportunities to grow in intimacy with God and nature. River of Life pilgrimages provide the opportunity for all people, regardless of previous outdoor experience and religious background, to deepen and enrich their physical and spiritual engagement with the natural world.
Thursday, May 17 – Sunday, May 20
Wednesday, September 5 – Saturday, September 8
- Inclusive cost of the 3-day pilgrimage is $300 per person, payable upon acceptance as a paddling pilgrim.
- Pilgrimage timeline:
- Wednesday 5-6 pm ~ arrival for dinner and orientation in St. Elizabeth’s Church in Hope Valley, RI / Overnight at St. Elizabeth’s
- Thursday ~ 10-mile paddle from Hope Valley to Burlingame WMA campsite / Overnight at campsite
- Friday ~ 15-mile paddle from Burlingame WMA campsite to Westerly, RI / Overnight at Christ Church in Westerly
- Saturday ~ 5-mile paddle from Westerly to Napatree Point in Watch Hill, RI
- Canoes & kayaks, paddles, and PFDs will be provided; however, if you have your own PFD you’re more comfortable wearing, please bring it.
- Paddling pilgrims are responsible for their own transportation to the starting location and from the ending location.
- A more detailed equipment list will be provided for those accepted as paddling pilgrims.
- For a sample River of Life Pilgrimage daily schedule, click here.
- The Wood River Pilgrimage will be guided by Mark & Lisa Kutolowski of Metanoia of Vermont. Mark & Lisa were the spiritual and river guides for the 2017 Connecticut River Pilgrimage, on which these 3-day pilgrimages are based.